Technical Problems in Class

I have 2 classrooms, a foods “laboratory” and a sewing “laboratory”.  I have that in quotes but they really are laboratories.  I like the Speak like a Geek idea that was presented in class last week.

In the past year, overhead projectors were installed in both laboratories.  The foods lab had all of the installation work completed first and then the sewing lab installation was last summer.  Also last summer we received new laptops and a docking station was included.  I believe that the common wall was drilled into and wiring was set up and that somewhere along the line there is a glitch.  The settings on the projectors seem to change on their own and my computer would regularly crash when on the docking station in both classrooms.  I put in several work orders and all would be ok for a day or two.  So I began to investigate.  I found many small things that needed to be done.  I put in another work order because the faceplates for the wall connection were extremely loose and if I pressed them in tightly the projector would work. I also reread an email about a new extended connector on the wall.  I put in another work order for that.  I then got rid of the docking station  Another teacher said that the docking station compresses the signal and to try directly hooking my laptop to the projector which solved the crashing issue. Now the wall issue was still a problem, and I am waiting on the loose faceplate and getting the new connector.  The tech person (Matt) came to my room again-I believe Matt visits in the middle of class for two reasons:

  • Hoping that I am baking that day and will give him food-which I do give him food and hope that gives me an edge on him showing up sooner than later!
  • I think that he does this so that I won’t stop class and ask him additional questions.

My students are busy working and I ask Matt about the faceplate and new connectors.  He lets me know that he has them in his car. I suggest that he bring them in and lets see if they will solve my issues.  The longer screws for the faceplate helped seal up that area and my sound connection was greatly improved and the other longer connector may not have been necessary but I was happy to have it.

This process of getting everything running more smoothly took about 12 weeks of the school year which I find frustrating.  There is still a gremlin in the wall….

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s